EUROCONTROL is a civil-military intergovernmental organisation with 41 Member States and 2 Comprehensive Agreement States; our States stretch from Ireland to Armenia, Norway to Morocco.
Our mission is to support European aviation to become safer, more efficient, more cost-effective and with a minimal impact on the environment. We do this working closely with our Member States the European institutions and our stakeholders, which include air navigation service providers, civil and military airspace users, airports and aircraft and equipment manufacturers.
We deliver technical excellence and civil-military expertise across the full spectrum of air traffic management. Our activities touch on operations, service provision, concept development, research, Europe-wide project implementation, performance improvements, and support to the future evolution and strategic orientation of aviation.
- EUROCONTROL has been nominated Network Manager by the European Commission for the period up to 2029 and in this role we manage a seamless European airspace by linking together the disparate elements of the European air traffic management system and working to ensure smooth flow of traffic while addressing performance challenges strategically, operationally and technically. Together with our partners, we also develop solutions to meet current and future airspace and ground capacity needs.
- The EUROCONTROL Maastricht Upper Area Control Centre is the only cross-border civil-military air navigation service provider in Europe, delivering the highest possible level of performance through safety, punctuality, cost-effectiveness and environmental responsibility. At the same time, it has one of the highest levels in controller productivity and sector throughput in the core of Europe.
- The Central Route Charges Office runs an effective and centralised system that bills, collects and disburses some €9 billion each year in route charges while maintaining a recovery rate of 99.8%.
- We work in close partnership with the SESAR Joint Undertaking, of which we are a founding partner and main contributor, to drive innovation, research and development. At our Research Centre in Brétigny, in addition to covering the range of ATM disciplines, we have also developed unique simulation and validation tools used to test new operational concepts on behalf of our Member States and other partners.
- With a major focus on driving forward the sustainability of aviation, we provide a strong and growing service to airlines, air navigation service providers, airports and States to support them in their decision-making and with regulatory requirements in this area.
- Through our operational and research activities, we own and have access to an impressive wealth of data, which we make available to our Member States and partners to assist them in analysing and improving their performance.
Founded in 1963, EUROCONTROL has a staff of over 1,800 spread across 4 different sites (Brussels, Maastricht, Luxembourg, Brétigny sur Orge).