On July 9, 2021, during the “2021 Hermes AGM & Leaders Forum” the University of the Aegean and the HERMES – Air Transport Organisation. signed a Memorandum of Cooperation.
The main objective of the Memorandum is the development of actions, which will contribute to the liaison of the University with the aviation industry and the development of synergies.
- Designing market-driven educational programs and activities;
- Strengthening the scientific research in aviation in general and in emerging issues in particular;
- Generating new knowledge and developing innovative solutions to meet existing and emerged challenges;
- Addressing the gap between industry’s requirements with respect to human resources and lack and/or mismatch of available skills and competences;
- Establishing a communication network for exchanging data, knowledge best, practices and hands-on experience in the field;
- Raising awareness in the field of education and training and creating synergies with other aviation industry stakeholders
The Rector of the University of the Aegean Professor Dr Chrissi Vitsilaki stated:
“The lack of specialized and properly trained staff is one of the contemporary challenges in the aviation industry. The University of the Aegean invests in the design and creation of new educational programs that meet the needs of the aviation industry. We design for industry, with industry »
Professor Dr Andreas Papatheodorou, Director of the Laboratory for Tourism Research and Studies mentioned that “This MoU is an excellent opportunity for the University of the Aegean to liaise with a very reputable international organization in the dynamic air transport sector and capitalize on the University’s long tradition and brand recognition in tourism-related studies and research for the introduction of academic programmes in air transport”
Jeff Poole, President of Hermes – Air Transport Organisation said
“As an organisation for leading personalities in the air transport sector, Hermes places a strong emphasis on training, education and development of aviation professionals. We are delighted to support this important strategic aim by entering this formal collaborative relationship with the University of the Aegean”.
Dr Kostas Iatrou, Director General of Hermes – Air Transport Organisation said:
I am pleased to sign this memorandum with the University of the Aegean, one of the most dynamic universities in Greece with an expertise in tourism and transport. The cooperation will put the basis for establishing an academic degree in the air transport sector.
The signing was witnessed by H.E. Mr Harry Theoharis, Greek Minister of Tourism.